Salted Caramel Fruitcake
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Make this year a traditional Christmas with our deliciously moist fruitcake, loaded with glacé cherries, dates, almonds and cranberries. Imagine…
- 750g dried fruit (we used a combination of roughly chopped Wedgewood almonds and dried cranberries)
- 200g red glace cherries, halved
- 125g pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 100g glace pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 250ml brandy
- 250ml butter or margarine, softened
- 250ml (200 g) soft brown sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 5ml caramel essence
- 30ml smooth apricot jam
- 500ml (280 g) cake flour
- 1ml salt
- 2ml ground nutmeg
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml ground mixed spice
- 5ml ground ginger
- 5 extra large eggs
Salted caramel sauce:
- 250g Castor Sugar
- 200g Walters Dark Miombo Woodland Honey
- 5g Maldon Sea Salt
- 130g Butter (cut into cubes)
- 300ml Fresh Cream
- Mix the fruit, cherries, dates and pineapple with half the brandy and leave to soak overnight.
- Line your pan with two layers of greaseproof paper and two layers of brown paper. Grease well and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy. Add essences and jam.
- Sift the flour, salt and spices together. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Add fruit and mix well until all the fruit is covered. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150 °C for 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 140 °C and continue baking for 1 ¼ hours. Sprinkle remaining brandy over cake and leave to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Icing: Cover cake with marzipan and sugar paste icing.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
Heat the sugar, honey and salt in a saucepan on a low heat. Stir for 5 minutes until there are no sugar granules visible.
Add the butter and continue to stir slowly for 3 minutes.
Add the cream and keep stirring until the mixture is a beautiful golden colour (about 5 minutes to reach temperature)??
Allow to cool slightly and then spread over your fruitcake and enjoy!
With love from the Walters Team x
April 2020 -
- - Walters Chocolate and Cranberry Florentines
- - Gilly’s Famous Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- - Gilly’s Moist Choc-A-Block Cake